Strip Steel Business Unit
Salzgitter Flachstahl GmbH was formed in 2001 when the Salzgitter Group adopted a holding company-based structure and transferred production to newly established subsidiaries. Salzgitter Bauelemente GmbH was established in 2000, Salzgitter Europlatinen GmbH in 1997 and Salzgitter Mannesmann Stahlservice in 2014. However the history of the production plants and products represented by these modern companies reaches much further back.
Salzgitter is today both the largest as well as the youngest steel plant in the Group.
The plant was developed from 1937 onwards by the National Socialist government-owned Reichswerke AG für Erzbergbau und Eisenhütten “Hermann Göring“ and largely dismantled by the Allies after the end of World War II.
In the 1950s and 1960s the plant was comprehensively rebuilt and expanded. In 1970 it became part of Stahlwerke Peine-Salzgitter AG, the predecessor of today’s Salzgitter Group.