Plate/Section Steel Business Unit
The Plate/Section Steel business unit is composed of the operating companies Ilsenburger Grobblech GmbH, Salzgitter Mannesmann Grobblech GmbH, Peiner Träger GmbH and DEUMU Deutsche Erz- und Metall-Union GmbH.
Ilsenburger Grobblech GmbH and Peiner Träger GmbH were formed in 2001 when the Salzgitter Group adopted a holding company-based structure and transferred production to newly established subsidiaries which enjoy independence at an operating level. Salzgitter Mannesmann Grobblech GmbH was established in 1997, DEUMU Deutsche Erz- und Metall-Union GmbH dates from 1941.
However the history of the production plants and products represented by these modern companies reaches much further back in time.
Ilsenburg can trace its origins back to the year 1595. After several centuries in which production was concentrated on copper products, plate rolling began in Ilsenburg in 1948. The plant has been part of today’s Salzgitter Group since 1992.
At the Mülheim plant the first plate mill started operations in 1882.
The production plant in Peine dates back to 1872. In this year “Aktiengesellschaft Peiner Walzwerk” was established to convert the pig iron produced at the nearby Ilseder Hütte – the earliest predecessor of today’s Salzgitter AG – into steel and rolled products. In 1880, the plant was taken over by Ilseder Hütte.
Sections have been rolled in Peine since 1876. The first broad-flanged beam with parallel flanges – the “Peiner Beam” (in German “Peiner Träger”) – was rolled in 1914, since then Peine has been synonymous with sections of the highest quality.